RISE Internship Program
Applications are currently being accepted for openings for the January and June 2014 terms!
Priority application deadline for January 2014: November 4, 2013
Thank you for your interest in the RISE Internship program at Eliada! Recruitment for our January and June 2014 internship terms has officially begun!
RISE is a 13 month long program designed to give recent college graduates the opportunity to gain valuable experience in the mental health field.
More about RISE
The RISE (Residential Interns Seeking Excellence) internship is a thirteen month-long paid placement that provides recent college graduates the opportunity to gain valuable experience in the mental health field. RISE interns receive:
- Paid housing and utilities
- Medical benefits
- Hourly stipend
- Free meals
- Opportunities to explore projects of personal interest
Our interns work as direct care staff in Eliada’s five different psychiatric residential treatment facilities (PRTFs). The PRTFs house approximately 6-9 students, ages, 6-17, who have received various mental health diagnoses. Eliada is unique in that our students are able to receive the highest level of residential care in a very non-institutionalized setting. Eliada is the only PRTF facility in Western North Carolina and the only free-standing PRTF in the state. Some examples of the diagnoses we see with our students include ADHD, Oppositional-Defiant Disorder, Bipolar Disorder, and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.
As a member of the RISE program, interns have the opportunity to work in all five PRTFs in varying capacities. There are three shifts – a day shift (6:30AM-2:00PM), an evening shift (2:00PM-11:00PM), and a night shift (10:30PM-8:00AM). Eliada maintains a 1:3 staff to student ratio, so our interns never work alone. Ideally, by the end of their year with us, our interns have worked in all five cottages on each shift. Throughout their time at Eliada, interns become familiar with how to work with our students, and they are also able to participate in a variety of activities such as our animal therapy program, our dirt bike program, art therapy projects, and many other therapeutic and recreational activities that we have in place for our students.
Eliada’s campus is located in beautiful Asheville, North Carolina where the Blue Ridge Mountains meet the Smokies. Interns live on the edge of our campus in duplex-style apartments. Each apartment has its own kitchen, living area, and two separate bedrooms.
Upon completion of the internship, approximately 85% of our interns continue on to pursue graduate degrees, prepared to take the next step in their professional lives. The remaining 10-15% of interns typically accept full-time positions within the organization. While the internship requires a full-time commitment and, at times, can be quite challenging, the experience gained is extremely valuable. If you are looking for a way to expand your knowledge in the mental health field, one year with our students will certainly provide the experience you have been looking for!
Please contact our Staff Recruiter, Maggie Cody, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have about the program.